Thursday, February 2, 2012

#51 New Recipes: Oven Roasted Broccoli

Broccoli is my favorite vegetable. It's tasty, it's got good texture and it's easy to make. I was excited to find a new way to make broccoli, usually I steam it, and thought this recipe looked pretty tasty.

2 heads broccoli, separated into florets
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, toss broccoli florets with the extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic. Spread the broccoli out in an even layer on a baking sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until florets are tender enough to pierce the stems with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and transfer to a serving platter. Squeeze lemon juice liberally over the broccoli before serving for a refreshing, tangy finish.

Chef Hubby complimented me on the "good broccoli," but to be honest I still prefer it steamed. This broccoli had a little more crunch to it than I like, and I didn't feel like it got out all of the bitterness that I think raw broccoli has. Granted, my palate tends to be pretty sensitive for anything with the slightest hint of bitterness, so I think for most people this would probably be a pretty tasty alternative way to make broccoli.

I'll probably be sticking with steamed, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment