Thursday, January 26, 2012

#51 New Recipes: Oven Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts are definitely not something I would have ever though I'd like to eat. Sometimes I still don't, it really depends on how they're prepared. While I didn't like this recipe as much as the Cider Cinnamin Brussels Sprouts I made, if you like the flavor of Brussels Sprouts this is a good recipe to really taste them and it gives them a nice texture.

Ingredients:
2 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved (quartered if large) (This is the size of bag you can get at Costco or Sam's Club)
5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, move oven rack to upper third
2. in a 9"x13" baking dish toss together brussels sprouts, garlic, water, oil salt and pepper and spread into a single layer. Personally, I found that there were too many Brussels sprouts for me to make a single layer in the 9x13" pan and I ended up putting them into two pans:

3. Bake for 40-50 minutes until caramelized to taste, tossing once about 25 minutes into cooking time. Remove from oven and toss sprouts int the pan scraping up brown bits into the sprouts.

Simple, tasty, easy. While this recipe was much easier than the Cider Cinnamin Sprouts, I still think I liked the Cider Sprouts better. They had more flavor and sweetness to them, in this recipe I thought that the taste of the sprouts really overpowered the garlic flavor... the caramelizing was nice though. My mom isn't a big sprouts fan and she still ate some.

However, this was waaaaaay too many sprouts. We had left over sprouts for a week and I was pretty sick of them by the end of the week, especially because they weren't my favorite preparation either. I'm going to keep looking for some more sprouts recipes to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment