Sunday, November 27, 2011

#51 New Recipes: Shepherd's Pie (w/ Ground Turkey)

Appropriately enough for a post-Thanksgiving blog... a turkey recipe!

I've been trying to eat more healthily, which means I've been substituting lean ground turkey for beef. This cause me to search for recipes that actually call for turkey, rather than just substituting it into a beef recipe. I was very excited to come across a Shepherd's Pie recipe because I absolutely love Shepherd's pie, but it's not always the healthiest thing in the world.

Ingredients:
2 medium potatoes (about 10 oz) peeled and quartered
1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut up
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I suggest substituting low-fat milk / sour cream as yogurt tends to break up when it's heated and it made the mashed potatoes really dry.)
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 oz uncooked ground turkey breast (or 90% or higher ground beef)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 10-oz package frozen mixed veggies
1/4 cup water
One 14 1/2 oz can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
1/2 of a 6 oz can (1/3 cup) no salt added tomato paste
1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or sage or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme or sage, crushed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. In a covered medium saucepan, cook potatoes and parsnips in enough boiling water to cover about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Mash with a potato masher or with an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add yogurt (or substitute) and salt, mashing or beating to make mixture light and fluffy. Cover and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is brown. Drain well.
4. Stir in mixed veggies and water, bring to boiling and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
5. Stir in undrained stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Heat through. Divide turkey mixture among four 12-16 oz individual casseroles or ramekins, or transfer mixture to a 1 1/2 court casserole (I used 9"x13" flat baking pan).
6. Pipe or drop mashed potato mixture in mounds atop hot turkey mixture (at this point, I also sprinkled on some cheddar cheese. Because I like cheese.)
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are heated through.




The pie was pretty delicious although the mashed potatoes were dry. My chef husband told me it's because yogurt doesn't do well when heated and it probably made the potatoes dryer just by being mixed in. So that's good to know! Next time I'll just make my regular mashed potatoes with some milk, margarine and chicken broth and put that on top.

The inside was nice though! Pretty moist and tasty. Not quite as flavorful as it would have been with beef, but I still enjoyed it and it's nice to have an all in one meal. It only took me about an hour to make, including baking time, which is not bad at all, and I ended up with plenty of leftovers =)

No comments:

Post a Comment