Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dried Strawberries

So my new job at an accounting firm during tax season has definitely had a detrimental effect on how much I'm able to blog, however it does not have a detrimental effect on me making new recipes!!!!

This is one I was particularly excited about because I'm very picky about my strawberries. I don't like bad spots or the ones that look like they're not quite ripe, and after a few days I don't want to eat ANY of them because they seem a little mushy. It is these unlikely candidates that I decided to dry out in the oven and see if that improved their quality any.

It was an extremely successful experiment.

The steps are easy.
1. Wash the strawberries and preheat the oven to 210 (mine was probably closer to 250 and it worked out fine)

2. Core them (which means cut off the leafy crown and then - if you're like me - use a knife the take out the little core.
3. Cut them in half and lay them out on a baking sheet.
I wasn't sure if the direction they're facing would make a difference. So I did both. It didn't make a difference.

4. Sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper. I did notice that the strawberries with the core facing up held onto the salt and pepper and little better, but it didn't seem to make a difference in flavor to be honest.

5. Bake for 3 hours (or until dried)
I did notice that the ones facing up look a little prettier. They all tasted delicious though. They were like candy! I'm probably going to do this to all strawberries that have sat in my fridge a little too long for my picky self to just eat them. In fact, I'm going to be doing it again today =)

In case you're wanting a super easy and healthy-ish dessert recipe for strawberries, the strawberries that were eaten before making these were eaten fresh with a bowl of chocolate whipped cream... they taste like chocolate covered strawberries but it's less than half the calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment